We spend a lot of time worrying about all the bad things or wrong things we potentially are doing as parents. I think it’s time we congratulate ourselves for all the thing we do right. Parent without regret. Here’s my list of things I’ll never regret doing as a parent. I know everyone’s list will look different, so please refrain from passing any judgement. This is supposed to be a positive experience, after all.
Parenting Moments I Will Never Regret:
- Giving hugs and kisses when my children cry, whatever the reason.
- Not letting my children cry “it” out. Whatever “it” may be, I felt they were trying to communicate to my through their cries. Plus, there’s nothing better than snuggling with your precious little ones in the middle of the night.
- Letting my kids make as many decisions as possible.
- Saying, “yes” when they come to into my room in the middle of the night and ask if they can get in bed.
- Playing with them instead of doing housework.
- Saying “Goodnight” and “I love you” to them every night, even when they’re not at home.
- Sending them to preschool, despite the tears (and sometimes screams) of protest. The resulting amount of growth spiritually, emotionally, socially, and mentally is astounding.
- Helping them find a sport that they love. Encouraging them to continue as long as they enjoy it.
- Teaching them to read at an early age.
- Breastfeeding them for as long as we both found it agreeable (about 20-24 months for each kid, in my case).
- Teaching them to love and trust in Jesus.
- Holding their hands and looking in their eyes whenever I have to say something really important.